Eyewitness Community Survey
What is Eyewitness Community Survey?
Eyewitness Community Survey is a citizen science tool that helps communities get healthier by collecting information from their local environment. We Engage 4 Health invites children from grade 5 and up and adults of all ages to participate. ECS observers walk the community, make observations, and answer survey questions on a smart phone or tablet to capture the data.
Important Features of ECS
- ECS is a standardized tool that allows data from many observers in a community to be captured and later pooled together.
- To allow data to be pooled, each ECS observer needs to follow the same process (protocol).
- A community can customize some parts of the ECS question set to focus on issues of greatest concern.
Who Can Use the ECS Tool?
Any group or organization with an interest in the relationship between health and their local environment can request training to use the ECS tool. In some cases, instruments to collect air pollution measurements can be loaned to groups using the ECS tool as an added source of data. Just get in touch using the interest form, and a We Engage 4 Health team member will contact you!
How Does My Group Learn to Use the ECS Tool?
Training to use the ECS tool is provided through a series of three graphic-style stories.
- Exploring the Environment
- Environment is Everywhere
- Becoming an Expert Eyewitness
These stories are available to read as online flipbooks, as printable PDF files, and as videos with voices playing the characters. You can view the videos below.
Provide us with contact information, and we will send you information about getting your group involved in participating as citizen scientists using the Eyewitness Community Survey tool!